Monday, January 21, 2013

Weekend Sewing

While I should have been finishing my January project for the Lovely Year of Finishes, I spent the weekend starting some new projects. I feel like most of my sewing lately has been Bee blocks.  Don't get me wrong--I love making them all but I really wanted to make something for myself.  My "want-to-make" list is HUGE of course but decided to make new mini quilts for the tops of my family room end tables.


Railroad Ties by Faye Burgos for Marcus Fabrics
 
 
I picked up this cheater print last year in a quilt shop out of town.  It was in a wagon full of remnants and scraps since it was the end of the bolt.  I loved the look of it being like a finished patchwork top with the squares measuring 3".  I also purchased the Primitive Pinwheels ruler.  It makes the same type of quilt as the Little Twister just at a smaller scale using 3 1/2 inch squares. Perfect for the cheater print :) 
 
 
 
 
 
I added one more row on to the bottom and two more rows to the side and then stitched on the border it called for.  Finished size is 12 1/2" X 16".  A little bigger than the original pattern. I love them and they fit perfect on my tables!
 
 
Saturday I had the house to myself.  What?  That never happens :)  So I thought I would get out some fabric for a QAL I've been eye-balling all week and sew all day. As in no laundry...no dishes...no interruptions.  So I pulled out all my charms from 4 different rounds of rainbow charm swaps I was in last year. 
 
 
I have had lots of ideas on a list for these charms but then I came across the Dancing Stars QAL at Amy's Creative Side.  I LOVED it and decided to join in on the fun.  Paper piecing is my favorite and these charms are working out perfectly! Here are my first 8 with 3 more in my sewing machine waiting to get finished.
 
  
 
 
These actually go pretty quickly if you chain piece them. And it saves on thread!!  I just love how the rainbow stands out on the gray background.  I know I'm behind the times and lots of you have already been using gray but this is my first quilt using it.  I really like it :)   If you would like to join in too click on the button!
 
 
AmysCreativeSide.com
 
 
 
I'm also linking up to the get acquainted party at Plum and June! :)

Plum and June
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Your projects are just lovely! It's true -- sometimes you need to take a break and sew for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever with the cheater fabric. Beautiful stack of rainbows too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little stars are lovely, I like the grey around the rainbow of colours, inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...