Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A new addition to my sewing room

Even though I'm on a mission to finish my January project for A Lovely Year of Finishes, I also wanted to tackle my scraps this month.  All of my fabric stash is mostly organized but my FQ's and purchased scrap packs have been thrown into a tub that is now overflowing. 
This is my scrap tub.  An old roasting pan that I found at Goodwill.  I love it but it is definitely not big enough.  My FQ bundles have there spot but all the other ones needed a new place.  Something that I could "grow" into, make everything easy to see and great on price.  I also needed it to fit under my cutting table. It was getting way too cluttered under there. 
"before" pics
I had several ideas that consisted of wood and wire baskets-thanks to Pinterest-- but all seemed too spendy.  Especially the basket part.  Then I came across these on IKEA's website.  After measuring, I drove straight there and bought 2...and a rug for the family room...and drawer organizers...and :) You know how a trip to IKEA goes :) Anyway, I couldn't make them for what I paid.  It's not the original wire basket look I was after but now that they are in use, I love them!  I think they're perfect for my sewing space.

"after" pics
This was the first time purchasing furniture from there and assembling it myself was no problem. I love doing that kind of stuff anyway. I thought they were nice quality pine which matches the shelves I made perfect. They are fairly shallow--only about 12" deep.  For large cuts of fabric they may not work but are perfect for FQ's and smaller scraps.  I chose to organize by color.

And this is just one chest.  The other holds some fabric I'm in the middle of using for a QAL, zippers and embroidery supplies.  So I still have room to grow.  I might even get 2 more for the other side.
Now I think I might pull a few pieces to start a new project.

Lily's Quilts
Linking up to Lily's Quilts


  1. There is something very scrummy about a stack of fabric!

  2. It is the residential construction company that will have to organize things and secure the materials necessary. What you just have to do is to prepare your budget. construction contractors fontana


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...